Halloween can be a particularly difficult time for kids with food allergies since many common candies contain one or more common allergens. The consequences can be dangerous and traumatic for kids who accidentally consume something they’re allergic to. But a growing movement to give kids with food allergies some non-food treat options is making things a little safer and easier.
Journalists: Broadcast-quality video pkg (0:59) is in the downloads at the end of the post.
Please “Courtesy: Mayo Clinic News Network.” Read the script.
There are monsters and masks, superheroes, and surprises. But for some kids, it’s the foods that cause the fright – not the Halloween haunts.
Dr. Bhasin says the eight most common food allergens include eggs, milk, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish. She says you can find several of those items in many popular Halloween candies.
And the allergic response can range from itchy rash or hives to much more severe symptoms.
“You could have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea,” Dr. Bhasin says. “Your body’s going to do whatever it can to try to expel the allergen. You can have lip or tongue, or throat swelling; coughing; wheezing; chest tightness. It can go as severe as having dizziness, lightheadedness and even shock.”
And knowing which candies have potential allergens can be tough.
“It’s very important to remember that [for] fun-size candy bars, the ingredients in those are actually different than in the full-size candy bars,” Dr. Bhasin says. “So it’s critical for the parents to read the ingredients because what’s safe in a full-size candy bar may not be safe in a fun-size candy bar.”
But since 2014, the Teal Pumpkin Project has made it easier for parents to identify houses that have safe alternatives for trick-or-treaters with food allergies. If there’s a teal pumpkin outside the door, kids might find stickers, pencils or glow sticks as treats instead of candy.
So this Halloween, let the spiders and cemeteries do the scaring – not the sweets.